Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Monologue

I'm an attention-hog. I love the spotlight. I take any chance I get to be in front of an audience. I think this is part of why I write.

It's not so much that I expect applause for my writing. Rather, by putting pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard, I get to monologue for however long I want. This is one reason I journal. Aside from the therapeutic qualities, I love that I can simply tell my story- whatever it may be- with no interruptions, no distracted looks, no listening to responses. Emails are the same way. I could have a conversation with a friend, but I always have to remind myself to ask about the friend. (Yes, I have to remind myself of this. Yes, I am still a good friend.) When I email the friend, I get to just say everything right away. I'm equally excited to read their reply, and perhaps I can be so excited because I've gotten my piece said already.

I don't anticipate shaking my desire for attention or my self-centered (self-full!) thoughts. However, I do hope that I continue reminding myself to use writing to start conversations, too. My favorite blog, A Practical Wedding, is a great example of this. The founder, Meg, uses the blog as a way to cultivate a community; often the comments are just as intelligent and original as the blog posts themselves. She has accomplished this masterfully, and I hope that I, too, can use my words to address social and cultural narratives.

And so, dear captive audience, tell me: what conversations do you enjoy having?

P.S. If you haven't added A Practical Wedding to your daily reading list, do it now!

1 comment:

  1. As conversations go, I have very little interest in small-talk and chit-chat. I can perform it, but that's always what it feels like--a performance. I want to get right down to the meat and bone of things. That's what draws me to poetry. Every word is essential, every word means the world.

    ReplyDelete